St. Joseph School Shelton is a pre-kindergarten through 8th grade Catholic Elementary School under the Diocese of Bridgeport Office for Education.
The curriculum stresses academic achievement within a Christian community where a child feels loved and respected by his/her peers and teacher.
The Diocesan curriculum guidelines, consistent with the State of Connecticut guidelines, are followed for the teaching of all subject areas. The curriculum is marked by current content and fresh approaches to methodology.
There is emphasis on principles rather than fact, on learning through problem solving rather than by precept. We strive to offer a program which makes use of many sources of reading material, a wide variety of audio-visual and technological tools and a multi-text approach to the content areas.
In the 1920's, St. Joseph Church parishioners desired a school that would teach Roman Catholic doctrine to their children as well as provide an excellent academic foundation.
A community of three Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery established Saint Joseph Convent in April 1926. Kindergarten, first and second grades began immediately in the church basement. Third grade began the following year. Ground was broken for the new St. Joseph School on March 20, 1927 and the school was dedicated on Sunday, May 13th, 1928. A celebration of the 80th year in existence occurred in May 2008.